Thursday, October 12, 2017

The Most Romantic Dates


It’s been a few months since I talked about our date nights! Unless you’ve seen my constant Instagram stories, then you’re like, “OMG, please stop pushing your love in my face week after week after week.” You want to slap me.

Well clearly we need to discuss this again.

So here’s a quick update. Our babysitter is single/dating, so we go on weeknight dates so she has the weekends to herself. Chris and I take turns planning, and here’s list of my top three recent favorites. 

1. Roller skating 

Ha. It’s too ridiculous to call this romantic but I’m gonna. We have been intending to visit our roller skating rink for years, but we finally had to prioritize it when I found out the rink was shutting down. 

We were practically the only people there who had to rent skates; I’m pretty sure the fifty other patrons (including WEE CHILDREN) were preparing for the Olympics. I skated with the grace and confidence of a newborn deer, but Chris is secretly amazing at roller skating! It’s so embarrassing to say this, but it’s exciting for me to see him be surprisingly good at something new. What can I say? I am attracted to competence, even roller skating competence.

2. Bike picnic 

We live by a wildlife refuge, and I’m not saying it’s breathtaking beauty, but I think it’s a great place to live. One night we rode our bikes to the grocery store, bought a bunch of chocolate and cheese, and had a picnic on the reserve, looking over the bay. I was cold, and Chris gave me his jacket. It was a romantic in the most ordinary way.

3. Neighborhood walks 

Saved the Most Romantic one for last. Chris and I have always gone on neighborhood walks together. The summer after we got married, we took Sunday walks through neighborhoods where Chris used to live or work. He had lived here for like eight years, so these walks lasted almost four months.

Then, a few months ago, Chris drove us to a neighborhood I’d never been to before. It was this tree-lined neighborhood where -- I swear to you -- kids rode their bikes alongside their puppies, grandparents walked hand in hand, a flower-fragrant breeze filled the night air. Chris put his arm around my shoulders and said, “I think I’d like our family to live here.”

For me, there is something so magical about imagining your future together, so that night began a walking series where we started to walk around neighborhoods where we could buy a house someday.

Now, I don’t know what the future holds for the Perry family, but someday I might fall into a diamond mine and buy a home in the Bay Area.

b perry

p.s. Tonight we were going to go roast marshmallows at the Ritz Carlton in Half Moon Bay, but the fires! I can’t believe these fires… Stay safe everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I try to respond to comments if I have your email :)